|Date||1896 - 1918?|
This trunk was left behind by a boarder at the Belaustegui boardinghouse, located at 117 S. 6th Street. The trunk was painted a hunter green at some point. The original color of the canvas-covered sides is brown. The base material of the trunk is wood. The top edges and corners of the slightly domed lid, and the left, right, and bottom edges of the side of the trunk are covered in thick, stiff leather. The leather strips are attached to the trunk with small brass nails. Two leather straps run from the back of the lid to the front, and hang down to buckles secured about 9" from the top of the lid. Two more strips of leather nailed to the trunk are in the middle of the trunk's front, and in the center on the top of the lid. A large brass-colored lock is in the center of the lid's front edge with a small handle directly above it. "The Yale & Towne Mfg. Co., Stamfod Conn. USA" is inscribed around the bottom of the lock. The trunk was made by another manufacturer; Yale & Towne only made locks and keys. They started making locks for trunks in 1891. "B54" is inscribed below the lock's hinge and also on the small silver key. "Y&T" is inscribed inside a club (as in card suit) shape around a button on the bottom portion of the lock. There are two hasps on the front of the trunk, each about 4" in from the sides. Between each hasp and the center lock is a diamond shaped piece of hardware. When the lid is closed, a piece of metal slides into the hollow half of the diamond to keep the trunk lid stable. Two more similar pieces of hardware appear at both ends of the thick leather handle on either short side of the trunk. The handle on the left broke off at some point. Each corner of the trunk has a heavy metal bulbous cover. Similar metal pieces with vertical tabs (versus the corner pieces with three radiating tabs) are placed in between the corners along all edges on the trunk. There are six metal pieces on both the top and bottom, and four around the vertical edges of the trunk. Brass pieces that resemble a large 'E' are placed around the corner at the bottom of the lid and the top of the body of the trunk. The bottom of the trunk has 4 rollers. They are not perfect cylinders, it looks like they were handmade. The bottom of the trunk has three wood slats that run lengthwise. The canvas is the original one. "32 IN." and "1806" are stenciled in green paint on the middle slat. There is a partial paper label on the left side of the middle slat. "Lined", "Varnished", and "Examined" are still visible.
The lid has only one stay, on the right side. A tall tray with three sections rests in the top of the main compartment. The tray is covered with a thin light brown fabric. There are small metal pieces riveted into the short sides of the tray that act as recessed handles. The inside of the lid is also covered in the light brown fabric. One long side of the tray has a small leather tab and three small leather straps with a brass snap. It is unclear what attached to these straps. The front of the snap has "A&B" on it. The back of the snap has "Pat. Apr 21, 96 & Sept. 1, 96" on it. The back of the trunk's interior, at the top edge, has two rectangular metal loops. It's possible that the tray used to somehow hook into these loops/slots. The rest of the trunk's inner compartment is plain, and lined with "The Idaho Statesman, Friday, July 3,1970" newspaper section. There is a piece of metal on the inside edge of the lid on the right side toward the front. It is long and curved with a hook on one end. It pivots and its purpose is unclear.